The Sandbox - Pixel Metaverse
- The Sandbox is a multiplayer sandbox virtual world built on Ethereum
- According to The Sandbox, there are over 500,000 unique wallet user addresses and 200+ independent IPs/brands as of November 2021
- The Sandbox is available for Alpha testing from November 2021
Originally a single-player sandbox game, The Sandbox was developed by Pixowl Studios. It released smartphone version on May 15, 2012, and PC version on June 29, 2015. The studio was acquired by Animoca Brands in 2018, and after that, the game started to be built as a multiplayer sandbox-like virtual world built on Ethereum, where players can create 3D pixelated in-game props and own them in the form of NFTs. The new Sandbox virtual world is available for Alpha test from November 29, 2021.
Source: The Sandbox Alpha test
The Sandbox team believes that in the current gaming market, centralized governance of user-generated content by game developers limits the rights and ownership of creators, and centralized control over the trading of player-created virtual props limits the ability of players to create value for their work. the Sandbox team is committed to creating a virtual world in which players can collaborate to create content without centralized governance. As a result, they developed The Sandbox, a pixel sandbox virtual world similar to Roblox, which provides creators with ownership of created content through NFT, with in-game Land as a medium to showcase player-created content, and incentivizes more participation through a native token, $SAND.
Specifically, players can buy or lease Land, then build games, art exhibitions, performances and other activities on the Land to attract other players to participate, as well as charge other participating players for profit.
Technically, The Sandbox gaming ecosystem consists of three products.
- VoxEdit Editor: a 3D modeling package that helps players create and animate content, such as people or animals, to leaves or even tools, etc., and export it to the Sandbox Marketplace to become in-game NFT assets.
- Marketplace: supports users to upload, publish and trade props created in VoxEdit as NFTs (ERC-1155).
Game Maker: Any NFT asset - whether created through VoxEdit or purchased through the Marketplace - can be placed or used within the game. Users who own in-game lands can decorate their lands in this mode and, more importantly, it allows for nuanced game mechanics by predefining behavior for in-game items.
Source: The Sandbox
At the same time, Sandbox is actively cooperating with other projects and KOLs, for example:
- Video game company ATARI, entertainment company Skybound Entertainment, etc. have purchased land for Sandbox and plan to develop game facilities there.
- Electro DJ Deadmau5, rapper Snoop Dogg, and others have purchased land and plan to open exhibitions and concerts there.
- Animated films such as Pororo the Penguin and Smurfs will develop available NFT images and create gaming facilities.
- In addition, projects and individuals such as Binance, Chiliz, CoinMarketCap, South China Morning Post, Pranksy, CyberKongz, and Adidas have also purchased land in the Sandbox and will develop related content facilities in the future.
The popularity of The Sandbox continues to grow as new developments and operations continue to be made. This is reflected in the market value of its native token, $SAND, which rose from over $23 million in early 2021 to a peak of $7.5 billion on November 25, and its NFT daily trading volume, which peaked at over $10 million on November 25.
In-game assets include Land and $SAND token, in addition to player-created content.
The Land is an NFT asset stored on the blockchain in ERC-721 standard, on which players can publish created content, games, etc., or rent them out to other users. the map in Sandbox contains a total of 408*408 pieces of land, which will be sold in batches as development progresses.
- Total supply: 3 billion
- Use: In-game Currency
- Allocation and unlocking plan:
Token Information: The Sandbox (SAND)